Free Cosplayers of the Rocky Mountains
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vacuforming/wonderflex

4 posters

Go down

Vacuforming/wonderflex Empty Vacuforming/wonderflex

Post by Squall Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:52 pm

Something I have bee seeking for a long time is a workshop or instructions on vacuforming or wonderflex. I hear that the materials are great for cosplay, but unfortunatly it seems to be hard to find people who know what to do with this. Any ideas?

Squall
Peon

Back to top Go down

Vacuforming/wonderflex Empty Re: Vacuforming/wonderflex

Post by Curucar Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:51 am

Wonderflex is really easy to use after you experiment once or twice with it. It's helpful to make preliminary patterns out of paper or cardboard to see how everything will fall in to place before cutting up the expensive wonderflex.

And since wonderflex does have the meshy fabric inside of it, I've found that cheap elmer's glue (5+ coats) is the best way to smooth it. I've messed around with gesso, but it tends to contour to the mesh pattern.
Curucar
Curucar
Lvl. 10 mage

http://www.curucarscosplay.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Matareno Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:42 am

Sounds like some cool stuff. Right now I've been making a power suit helmet for a costume based off a 1990's PC game. The helm is made from avian wire coverd with mask making cloth and paper meche. only problem is making the armour plateing. I've heard that craft foam works well, but I'd like something much stronger.
Matareno
Matareno
Sword Swallower

Back to top Go down

Post by Curucar Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:55 am

Matareno wrote: The helm is made from avian wire coverd with mask making cloth and paper meche. only problem is making the armour plateing. I've heard that craft foam works well, but I'd like something much stronger.
I'd coat it with fibre glass if you've already got the base. (that's as far as my knowledge of fibre glass goes. *unhelpful*)
Curucar
Curucar
Lvl. 10 mage

http://www.curucarscosplay.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rabbit Sat May 03, 2008 10:55 pm

Like someone else said, Wonderflex would work well and the fiberglass would work as a covering, though you'll probably have to smooth it down lots and lots before painting on it. When it comes to foam, the stuff is great for curves and whatnot due to its ability for curling when heated. once it's at the shape you want, over it with a few layers of tissue paper or paper mache' so the fiberglass doesn't melt the foam.
As for Vacuum form, I've wanted to try it, but the only place I know that has one available was an art school someone I know use to work for. It's sadly, not for public use. There's plenty of sites on how to build your own out there also. It's just finding them.

Rabbit
pocky user

Back to top Go down

Post by Matareno Tue May 06, 2008 6:07 am

Rabbit wrote:Like someone else said, Wonderflex would work well and the fiberglass would work as a covering, though you'll probably have to smooth it down lots and lots before painting on it. When it comes to foam, the stuff is great for curves and whatnot due to its ability for curling when heated. once it's at the shape you want, over it with a few layers of tissue paper or paper mache' so the fiberglass doesn't melt the foam.
As for Vacuum form, I've wanted to try it, but the only place I know that has one available was an art school someone I know use to work for. It's sadly, not for public use. There's plenty of sites on how to build your own out there also. It's just finding them.

Do you know where to find fiberglass? I was thinking of covering the helm with the stuff to smooth out the paper meche that I alredy used.
Matareno
Matareno
Sword Swallower

Back to top Go down

Post by Rabbit Tue May 06, 2008 10:14 am

It's not actual fibre glass, but Hobby Lobby carries Varnishes and Resin Casting liquids. They work just as well and are a little less dangerous.

Rabbit
pocky user

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum